Sunday, November 13, 2011

Giving thanks for... holidays.

"I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending."
-Fred Rogers

While Mr. Rogers so beautifully illustrates the holiday season, I believe that this quote can be applicable to any holiday season, not just Christmas. Holidays are absolutely, positively one of the most memorable and delightful things in this life. Whether it is a big and exciting holiday like Christmas or the 4th of July, or just a small simple holiday like Memorial Day or Veterans Day, I love having reason to celebrate. Wearing festive clothes or making special treats or giving little gifts are all pieces of the fun atmosphere of holidays.

This time of year is especially festive. "The holiday season" is upon us, and now that Halloween has passed, it only gets better from there! So here are a few memories that accompany the most recent holidays in my life....starting back in August.

My Birthday

August 23 is one of those days that will always and forever be sweet to me. Why? Well, it's my birthday! Okay, okay, I know that birthdays aren't as cool when you are older as when you are a little kid, but I still LOVE them. Even though most of my birthdays now are just like any other day, the kind words and love shown from friends and family make a birthday what it is. This past year, I actually moved on my birthday....real exciting, I know. But I got four birthday cakes this year. Yep, that's right. F.O.U.R. It was lovely!


A little Taco Tuesday on the birthday.

First birthday cake... Tres Leches. And so delish!

With the bowling crew

Birthday Cake #2...
#3 came from my friends at Pickleville.
#4 came from my family.

One of the sweet cards I received from a little friend of mine.

My birthday barbeque with the family.
These are some of the most important boys in my life.

Labor Day

Labor Day is usually just one of those fun 4-day weekends with no school on Monday. Every year I typically just chill, relax, kick back, and enjoy my day off...at home. This year however I got to do something that I didn't get to do once this summer: boating! I love going boating, but my family doesn't own a boat and every time my friends went this summer, I wasn't able to go. So just when I thought that my summer would be pathetically labeled as never going boating, Labor Day came. My friend Brad invited me to go with his family and it was a BLAST! Gosh, I knew I always loved Labor Day...

Boating with Brad

Brad's brother-in-law Mark. He is seriously a pro.

See what I mean?

Brad's nephew Zac. Such a cute face right there!

Halloween

All Hallow's Eve. The holiday for witches, goblins, ghosts, ghouls and pumpkins. And most importantly, candy and costumes! Sheesh, Halloween is such a classy holiday. Classy? Hmmm maybe that's not the best adjective to describe it. Maybe more like creepy? Or crazy? Or creative? Or how about a mash-up of all of the above. The thing I love about Halloween (and October in general) are all of the fun activities that can be done that time of year. There is pumpkin carving, corn mazes, caramel apples, scary movies, haunted houses, trick-or-treating, costumes parties, murder mysteries....shall I go on? Here are a few of the fun Halloween things that I did this year:

Roommate Date Night. The group at the corn maze.

My cute date Holden.

Making caramel apples.

Caramel apple deluxe? I think so.

Treats for my piano student's Halloween Party.
Gravestone cupcakes.

Donut-hole eyeballs.

Mummy pizzas.

Frightmares at Lagoon!

Rylee and myself getting ready for the Howl.

Nerrrrrds.

Such a fun way to spend Halloween.

Thanksgiving

Alright, so I understand that Thanksgiving has not come yet. Hence all of the "thankful" posts. But, the fun November times have already begun. I will definitely blog about Thanksgiving Day, but let me share what has already been happening this month. My roommates do a "Roommate Date Night" every month. It's a great tradition that gets us girls asking boys out...we like to give the guys a little break. :) So each month we have a theme and since it is the month of Thanksgiving, we decided to make that our theme. So last night, we had a great night full of pizza, crafts, ph'zookies, laughter, chatter, and Pocahontas. My excitement for turkey, family and football is like ten times greater now because of last night...

A few of us preparing to make our Indian headdresses.

Me and my date Milo.
Aka: "Rushing River" and "Buff Warrior"

The whole group

Our turkey! So cheesy and childish as this sounds, we decorated hands to make the turkey feathers. But, let me tell you, everyone LOVED it.


Needless to say, holidays are a joyous time for many reasons. I am looking forward to spending time with those that I love during the upcoming weeks. My goal this holiday season (and this whole next year) is to try and see the beauty of the holidays through the eyes of a child. They have such a pure and innocent excitement. They truly believe in holidays. The acappella group Eclipse says it beautifully in the song "Christmas as a Child" from their new Christmas album...

I remember a place where I could sit for a while,
When life was more simple and love was a smile.
The reindeer were magic and snowmen were real.
I'd be there forever cause time still stood still.

That was Christmas where magic and memories run wild,

I'll return to that place where the stars brush my face
And once again spend Christmas as a child.


I want to always believe in the magic that each holiday possesses.
I want to see all holidays through a child's eyes.

No comments: