Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rock on. Peace out.

Tonight I had a really unique experience. One that was a little challenging, but reeeeally awesome! I learned how to sign tonight. Sign as in sign language. "Signing exact English", to be exact. I learned the signing for the song I Love to See the Temple. Now, could I show you what I learned tonight? Ah, maybe. Chances are that I will remember a few words like pray, beauty, love...the ones that are really easy to sign. Unfortunately, my short term memory is a little bit like that of Dory the fish from Finding Nemo, aka: pretty poor. So by tomorrow morning, I'd dare say that the beautiful signing that I learned less than 24 hours prior will mostly be gone.

Regardless, I feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment. It amazes me how there is an actual language that can be communicated through actions. In my Family Finance class this semester, there are a few deaf students. Two translators sit in the front of the class and sign ASL to these students. I find myself paying more attention to these ladies doing the sign language than my actual professor. It's a little bit of a problem. Anyway, let's just say that it fascinates me. And it completely blows my mind how people can learn it. It seems very difficult. But, I actually learned that many children learn to sign before they speak. The linguistics of a child develop after their motor skills develop, which makes it possible for them to carry full conversations through signing before they can speak a full sentence. Pretty amazing, I'd say!

So I'm very appreciative of my ability to hear. I can't imagine a life without hearing the melodic tunes of the birds chirping on a summer morning.
Or the calming sound of the waves crashing on the beach.
Or the jaw-dropping singing from a musical genius like Celine or Whitney Houston.
Or even the sound of the cracking voice of my pubescent teenage brother.
Hearing is a definite blessing. But I have such admiration for those individuals who do not have the ability to hear, whether they are deaf from birth or their deafness came later in life. What strength and courage they must have.

"But as far as my work is concerned,
I see no impediment, and various advantages, to being deaf."

-Stephanie Beacham

Now for my favorite phrases in sign language:

My name. Obviously.

Rock, Paper, Scissors. A classic.

"Y" aka: Hang Loose

I love you.

So bottom line? Sign language is awesome. And hard to learn. But kind of fun too.
Well, time for homework and studying.
So rock on......and peace out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One time in my ballet class when I was 6 or so we learned the sign language to Silent Night, ever since then I've thought sign language was so cool. Do I remember a single sign to that song? Nope.
Loved seeing your cute face for a moment at the toaster tonight!

Megan Michelle said...

Yeah, I definitely don't remember anything I learned last night either. Oh well. It's still pretty cool :) and yes! I'm glad you recognized me waving like a crazy person at you. Haha it was the highlight of my night!