Monday, August 16, 2010

Bloggin' on a Monday Afternoon

Just recently, I decided to pick up the habit of blogging again. I started a blog for my family a few years ago, but as a young high school girl, it was a little challenging to keep up with my own crazy life--let alone the whole family. So here goes blogging round 2. Only this time, I'm just taking care of myself. Of course, my family is a huge part of my life and they influence me more than probably anything else in this world so of course they will be mentioned a time or two. This Monday morning and now afternoon has brought a lot of thought. I feel like I've been thinking deeper about things lately. Maybe that's because I've had more time lately than the majority of this summer. Whoever made the oh-so-common phrase of "Lazy days of summer" sure didn't have their head on straight. This summer has been full speed acceleration since almost day one. Working two jobs (private piano teaching and the frame shop) plus being in two shows up at Pickleville has kept me on my toes. No doubt. Let me illustrate a typical summer day in the life of Megan Bagley:

1. Wake up in the morning (not feeling like P. Diddy might I add)
2. Shower, Breakfast, Yada yada...you know, the morning routine
3. Either a) hit up the frame shop or
b) scoot into the piano room and teach a few lessons
4. Come home and get some grub
5. Chill for about an hour or so (including but not limited to: facebook stalking, tickling the ivories, running or p90x, chatting with my mama, and so on)
6. Hop in my lil' car and make the ever so monotonous drive to Bear Lake
7. Throw on a smile and muster up some energy for a show at PVP
8. Drive home, eat a bowl of cereal, snuggle into my bed for the night.

A few of us cast members after "Bandito Rides Again"

This has been my routine day in and day out. For the most part. Occasionally, I get to squeeze a day at the pool in there or a night with the friends and I think that because of the craziness of my summer, these moments are that much sweeter. I have the most incredible family who love and support me all the time. My sweet mom is an angel. She is always helping me out by washing my costumes, fixing me snacks for the night, running little errand for me...the list is endless. I don't know if I will ever be able to fully give her the thanks that she deserves. I have awesome friends as well. We have started a fun little tradition called SNV. Sunday Night Volleyball. It is one night of the week that I can consistently count on seeing everyone. What a relief!

So to put a lovely ending on a nuts-o summer, things are starting to wind down now. There has been and will continue to have some changes. Come August 30th, a new semester of school will be here. I LOVE college. Utah State is the single most wonderful place I can think of. Great people. Great classes. Great everything. As far as work goes, I'm just going to teach piano full time. The frame shop will call me during their busy season, but other than that, our love/hate relationship has finally come to an end. Breaking up with it was inevitable. It was just time. Pickleville is allowing me to take some deep breaths now as well. Performances are just on weekends now. Thank the Heavens! I can finally start to live up those summer nights, just in time for them to end. So here are a few of my favorite summer 2010 moments up to this point:

Matt came home!

Tylee Anne Griffin was born. My best friend is a mama now.

Toy Story in 3D. Favorite movies of the summer? Toy Story 3 and Inception. Check them out.

Family Pool Day

Lagoon. It's where fun is.

Steph came to visit

Birthday celebrations at Pickleville

Night swimming at Kourt's

So to tie back in with my deep thinking I have been doing with the new found aspect of free time in my life, I've been able to set some goals and reflect on what things are important in my life. I feel like it's time to change some bad habits and form some new ones. A new year will bring a plethora of new things--some of which I can't control and some of which I have complete control over.

One goal that I am trying really hard to accomplish is that of not over-programming my life. Seriously, since I was like a junior in high school my life has been non-stop. Between cheerleading, musicals, school, dating, working multiple jobs, and just the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I don't feel like I've really had a second to just chill. And I don't mean chill with friends on the weekends. I have luckily found time for that. I mean a complete life chill. As in having nights where I don't have anything going on. So that I can act on a whim and do whatever I want, whether that be re-organizing my room, hitting up Spoon Me with the girls, hanging out with the fam, or reading a book. Gosh, how would that be to get to read a book 4 out of the 7 nights of the week? Hmmm, I wouldn't know. But that's something th
at I will be able to report on in the next semester. Hopefully. I am taking a break from the musicals, easing back on the hours of work, focusing on my studies, and planning on being spontaneous. (An oxy moron, maybe?) SPONTANEOUS. What a beautiful word.

The Lord has blessed my life so immensely. I find it easy to complain about the busy life I live, but I have been given so much. I have felt so happy the past week or so. Happiness has got to be the best feeling in the world. This past general conference, President Uchtdorf spoke to the Young Women of the church. Now, I'm technically not in YW's anymore, but I love what he said to them. His talk was entitled "Your Happily Ever After" and he said:

“Happily ever after” is not something found only in fairy tales. You can have it! It is available for you! But you must follow your Heavenly Father’s map. Sisters, please embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ! Learn to love your Heavenly Father with all your heart, might, and mind. Fill your souls with virtue, and love goodness. Always strive to bring out the best in yourself and others. Be strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story has already begun. Your “once upon a time” is now."

Diddo to everything he said there. What wonderful counsel given to every woman by a man called of God. In thinking about this all, we have been asked to do so few things in comparison to what we have been promised. It doesn't seem fair. But, I'm not complaining. I'll dutifully strive to do my part to receive those blessings. I would love to have my "happily ever after." Easier said than done? Of course. But so worth it? Oh, absolutely.

No comments: