Sunday, November 21, 2010

Don't worry. Be happy.

Today I am thankful for happy moments.


This post will come in a series of different "happy moments" that I am thankful for. Pretty much I just want to blog about highlights of my past week/weekend and when I look back on it, it was filled with delightful moments. So that is truly what I am thankful for today. Those moments that give your insides a warm, fuzzy feeling. Those moments when you can't stop smiling, no matter how hard you try to keep it concealed. Those moments that you would freeze just to live in them a little bit longer. Those moments when you feel like your heart could just burst because of joy.

So first things first: Sara Bareilles.

I am thankful for Sara Bareilles.


Genius. Musician. Performer. Talent like you can't imagine....words cannot even describe this fantastic music artist. She truly is an artist. This past Wednesday I went to her concert. My darling friend Tessa and I hopped in my little blue beauty (which would be my car) and drove down to Salt Lake City for one of the best concerts, if not the very best, I have ever been to. The concert was at In The Venue in SLC, and I'm not gonna lie, it was a little sketchy. But, it ended up being a great place for a concert. It is kind of small so no matter where you stood, you were pretty close to the stage. The opening acts were good...but WAY too long. I kind of feel bad for opening acts at a concert because people really just want them to end. I paid money to see Sara, and that's who I want on stage. But they are very talented groups/performers that open. These ones, Holly Conley and The Cary Brothers, were just that.

Waiting for Sara to perform.

Then Sara finally came on. Ah, she is so stinkin' cute and ridiculously talented. She's one of those people that you kind of hate because she is SO good, yet it's impossible to actually hate her. Her ease and skill on the piano is unreal. Her vocals are hauntingly gorgeous and she has so much control. She'll wail on a loud, uncomfortable-to-sing-but-sounds-perfect-when-she-sings-it note then automatically transition to resonate on some beautiful high note. Then she goes and picks up a guitar and ukulele and plays like it's not big deal. Seriously, the girl is amazing. AMAZING. I feel so lucky to have been able to go to her concert. In her final song, she stood on her blue grand piano and jammed out. Who does that? Who is cool enough to do that? Sara Bareilles. On a scale of 1 to 10, she definitely earned an outstanding 10 from me. Wow, what a performer. What a night!

Sara in her glory at the piano.

Tessa and me enjoying every minute.

Surprise! She plays the guitar too.

Tessa, me, Derek, Meesh, Parker and Whitney

I am thankful for future vacations. Aka: HAWAII

This week I found out that I am FOR SURE going to Hawaii in December/January. I have a group of friends that had talked about going, but we never bought tickets and the scheduling kept having to be changed. Ya know, what happens the majority of the time trips with friends are being planned...it often times doesn't end up happening. But after some diligent ticket fare comparisons, we finally found a great rate and booked the tickets. There's 3 guys and 4 girls going and I couldn't be more EXCITED! I think that the last time I was on an airplane, I was about 5 years old. I don't really remember. Not to mention it has always been a dream of mine to go to Hawaii. Well folks, let me tell you, dreams do come true. We are going to the island of Oahu for about a week from December 30 to January 7th. So New Years in Hawaii? Yes please! I'll be sure to blog about my trip in just over a month.


I am thankful for dating.

Okay okay, I know this sounds so weird, but hear me out. This weekend I went on a couple of dates and it was really fun! Friday night was the IWA casual dance. Only downside to this was it was girl's choice, so I had to be the one asking the dude on a date. It is scary, let me tell you. I hadn't had to ask a guy out since girls choice dances in high school and I forgot how much I don't like it. I'd much rather have to deal with turning down unwanted dates then asking. Why? Definitely the fear of rejection. Anyway, I asked an awesome guy named Rich and we had a blast. Well at least I did! Then last night, I went out with a good friend named Corey and had nice little evening. I have been on some really fun dates throughout the years. That helps solidify the fact that there are awesome guys out there. It's easy to forget that and think that they are all lame when one does something stupid. But that one troubled boy is not all of them. I think about the guys in my life that I really love and they are all awesome! So for all of us single ladies, keep the faith. There are good guys out there...sometimes it just takes a little extra effort in looking.

There are so many happy moments in my life to be grateful for. I have wonderful friends and family that help make these moments happen. I have a loving Father in Heaven who allows me to take part in experiences that better me as a person and bring joy to my life.


"Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."
-Buddha

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Happiness is the meaning and purpose of life. The whole aim and end of human existence."
-Aristotle

No comments: